A Beautiful Nursery on a Budget
Nursery décor isn\’t what it used to be. And that is great news for those who love interior design and décor! Many parents-to-be are moving away from character themes and the expected pinks and blues and are instead opening their minds to design possibilities. In fact, a survey by Baby Shop magazine found that nearly half (47 percent) of current and future parents want nurseries that are an extension of their stylish home décor.
To help you find the right style for your baby\’s nursery, here are some tips from the team behind the Inspired Nursery blog at www.inspirednursery.com:
Get Temporarily Trendy
There are certain nursery items that you will be able to change out easily as trends evolve and as your child grows and expresses him or herself.
- Keep up with the latest color trends? Add a pillow and throw to your glider or buy some homemade or purchased wall art as a way to infuse a trendy color without committing to it forever.
- Love today\’s trends of owls, or find yourself drawn to colorful knit dolls designed overseas? These are easy items to bring into the room, sit on a shelf or display in a bookcase, but can be changed out when the next trend comes along.
- Obsessed with the latest celebrity nursery designs? Take some inspiration from your favorites but know you don\’t have to try to match a room item by item. Choose a color scheme or theme and then find a way to incorporate parts of it within your budget.
Invest in Rest
The smart move is to invest in a few pieces of high-quality furniture that will grow with your child. These are pieces that will remain in the nursery as it evolves into a toddler\’s and then big kid\’s room:
- Select furniture that complements the look of the rest of your home. Love traditional style? Seek out nursery collections that fit right in. Focused on a transitional look? Seek out cribs and furniture with clean lines and solid construction.
- Do you love the look of rich brown furniture or are you eager to see white wood furniture against pops of paint color and bedding? Nursery furniture comes in a wide variety of beautiful finishes. You can browse the images at www.facebook.com/inspirednursery for inspiration.
- Look for Lifestyle cribs which easily convert from crib to toddler-, day-, and eventually a full-sized bed, which means they will grow with your child.
- Consider other adaptable furniture pieces. This includes armoires that can convert into media centers, and dressers that can serve as changing tables. Learn more at www.LaJobi.com.
Give the nursery its own special look with accessories that are not only attractive, but have special meaning, too.
- Celebrate your family\’s heritage with treasures from scrapbooks, old family photo albums, textiles and art pieces from your family\’s native country.
- Personalize baby\’s room with handmade art and accessories from local artists or from online sources such as www.Etsy.com.
- Wall decals are a great way to transform a room. You can find everything from sophisticated small border decals and medium sized murals to large trees and fun circus animals – and you can apply them yourself.
You don\’t need to be a designer to create a beautiful nursery – you just need a little patience and the right inspiration.